GAZETTEER OF CAVES, FISSURES AND ROCK SHELTERS IN THE ENGLISH MIDLANDS, CONTAINING HUMAN REMAINS
Database compiled by Andrew T. Chamberlain, University of Manchester
This gazetteer contains a summary of information about natural caves, fissures and rock shelters in the Midlands
that have contained human remains of possible or proven prehistoric date. To find information about a particular site, click on its
name in the list below. The following categories of information are listed for each entry:
Site: The topographical name of the site, as given in the published literature. Alternative names are given in parentheses.
NGR: The National Grid Reference, consisting of two letters indicating the 100 km square followed by the six-figure or eight-figure grid co-ordinates, when known.
NMR: The National Monument Record Number, as listed in the Pastscape Database.
SMR: The Primary Record Number under which the site is recorded in the relevant local authority sites and monuments or historic environment record.
SAM: Scheduled Ancient Monuments number.
SSSI: Site of Special Scientific Interest number.
DCR: The database number of the site as listed in the Derbyshire Cave Registry with a direct link to the entry.
MCRA: The database number of the site as listed in the Mendip Cave Registry and Archive with a direct link to the entry.
Excavation: The directors and duration of known excavations of the site.
Curation: The current or last known locations of all curated finds from the site.
Burials: The estimated numbers of individuals, subdivided into adults and juveniles. A '+' sign indicates that the estimate is a minimum number, normally calculated from the most frequently
represented skeletal element
Finds: A brief summary of any artefacts or environmental material that may be of the same date as the human remains. The entry does not distinguish between items that are grave goods,
those which are associated by context, and material that is unstratified.
Date: The author’s assessment of the period to which the burials are likely to belong. For each site a numerical index of reliability of the dating evidence has been assigned,
as follows: (1) 14C date obtained directly on human remains; (2) 14C date obtained on organic material closely associated with a burial, or, undated human remains closely associated
with diagnostic prehistoric artefacts or other datable material; (3) burial associated with non-diagnostic prehistoric artefacts; (4) stratigraphical context of human remains indeterminate;
(5) no reliable dating information available for the site.
14C: Where radiocarbon determinations are available these are given in uncalibrated years b.p. The laboratory number is also given, but the laboratory dating error has been omitted
(most estimates of the error standard deviation of Holocene 14C dates lie in the range between ±30 and ±150 years).
Bibliography: A comprehensive list of the primary published literature for each site is given, but secondary references that present no additional information have been omitted.
Errors and omissions
It is hoped that we can actively keep this gazetteer both accurate and up to date. If you know of any data that is missing or out of date,
please contact either the compiler, Prof. Andrew Chamberlain
or the editor Graham Mullan. For technical problems, broken links etc. please
contact the editor..
Alphabetical List of Cave Sites
- Ash Tree Cave, Whitwell, Derbyshire
- Ash Tree Shelter, Whitwell, Derbyshire
- Beeston Tor Cave CX, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Blue John Cavern, Castleton, Derbyshire
- Bower Farm, Rugely, Staffordshire
- Burcote Rocks, Worfield, Shropshire
- Calling Low Dale (Church Dale), Youlgreave, Derbyshire
- Carden Park Rock Shelter, Farndon, Cheshire
- Carsington Pasture Cave, Carsington, Derbyshire
- Cave Dale Cave No. 2, Castleton, Derbyshire
- Cheshire Wood Cave, Waterhouses, Staffordshire
- Church Hole, Holbeck, Nottinghamshire
- Darfar Crag Cave (Wetton Mill Fissure), Wetton, Staffordshire
- Darfar Ridge Cave, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Demons Dale Cave (Taddington Dale Resurgence Cave), Taddington, Derbyshire
- Dowel Cave (Dowel Hall Cave), Earl Sterndale, Derbyshire
- Elder Bush Cave, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Eldon Hole, peak Forest, Derbyshire
- Falcon Low Cave (Old Park Hill Cave), Waterhouses, Staffordshire
- Fishmonger's Swallet, Alveston, South Gloucestershire
- Fissure Cave (Lower Hartle Dale Cave), Bradwell, Derbyshire
- Forty Acre Lane Swallow Hole, Alveston, South Gloucestershire
- Fox Hole Cave, Hartington Middle Quarter, Derbyshire
- Frank i' th' Rocks Cave, Hartington Town Quarter, Derbyshire
- Harborough Cave, Brassington, Derbyshire
- Hob's House Cave, Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire
- Hollybush Pothole, St Briavels, Gloucestershire
- King Arthur's Cave, Whitchurch, Herefordshire
- Langwith Cave, Scarcliffe, Derbyshire
- Lathkill Dale, Monyash, Derbyshire
- Lathkilldale Sough, Over Haddon, Derbyshire
- Madawg Rock Shelter, Whitchurch, Herefordshire
- Markland Grips Bone Cave (Sepulchral Cave), Elmton, Derbyshire
- Markland Grips Shelter D, Elmton, Derbyshire
- Merlin's Cave, Whitchurch, Herefordshire
- Middleton Dale (Eyam Dale Quarry), Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire
- Mill Pot Cave, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Monsal Dale, Little Longstone, Derbyshire
- Mother Grundy's Parlour, Whitwell, Derbyshire
- New Park Quarry, Longborough, Gloucestershire
- Old Hannah's Hole (Redhurst Cave), Wetton, Staffordshire
- One Ash Shelter, Abney and Abney Grange, Derbyshire
- Ossiferous Fissure (Cave C8), Whitwell, Derbyshire
- Ossom's Crag Cave (Yellersley Tor Cave), Grindon, Staffordshire
- Pin Hole Cave, Whitwell, Derbyshire
- Poole's Cavern, Buxton, Derbyshire
- Rains Cave (Longcliffe Fissure), Brassington, Derbyshire
- Ravencliffe Cave, Great Longstone, Derbyshire
- Robin Hood's Cave, Whitwell, Derbyshire
- Saint Bertram's Cave (Beeston Tor Cave), Wetton, Staffordshire
- Scabba Wood Rock Shelter, Sprotbrough, South Yorkshire
- Sevenways Cave, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Steetley Quarry Cave, Worksop, Nottinghamshire
- Sycamore Cave (Ecton Hill Caves), Wetton, Staffordshire
- Thirst House Cave (Deep Dale Cave), Chelmorton, Derbyshire
- Thorpe Common Rock Shelter, Thorpe Salvin, South Yorkshire
- Thors Cave (Thyrsis's Cavern), Wetton, Staffordshire
- Thor's Fissure Cavern, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Tom Bell's Cave, Heptonstall, West Yorkshire
- Treak Cliff Sepulchral Cave, Castleton, Derbyshire
- Waterfall Swallet, Eyam, Derbyshire
- Wentbridge Viaduct, Darrington, West Yorkshire
- Wetton Mill Farm Fissure, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Wetton Mill Rock Shelter (Nan Tor Cave), Wetton, Staffordshir
- Wetton Mill Upper Cave, Wetton, Staffordshire
- Whaley Rock Shelter No. 1, Old Bolsover, Derbyshire
- Whaley Rock Shelter No. 2, Elmton, Derbyshire
- Windy Knoll Fissure, Castleton, Derbyshire
Return to the main index page.
Updated November 2017