Saint Columba’s Cave, South Knapdale, Argyll and Bute


NGR: NR 7512 7679

NMR: NR77NE 10

Canmore: 39012

Excavation: M.E.M. Donaldson, 1930; M. Campbell, 1959.

Curation: ?

Burials: MNI: 14+

Finds: Flint and quartz artefacts, pottery (Early Neolithic, Bronze Age, Early Iron Age, Roman, Medieval and Post-Medieval), bone and antler artefacts, animal bones.

Date: Unknown (4)

14C: -

Bibliography:

Campbell, M. (1959-76) St Columba's Cave, Ellary. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1959:7; 1962:7; 1973:11; 1975:16; 1976:18.

Campbell, M. & Sandeman, M. (1964) Mid Argyll: an archaeological survey. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 95: 1-125.

Campbell, M. & Young, C. J. (1973) St Columba's Cave. The Kist 3-12.

Tolan-Smith, C. (2001) The Caves of Mid Argyll: an Archaeology of Human Use. SAS Monograph Series 20. Edinburgh.

return to the index page.

Valid CSS!